St. Andrew’s Church, Aveton Gifford
St Andrew’s is part of the Modbury Mission Community.
There are services at St Andrew’s at 11 am on the first four Sundays of each month. These include family services, formal Holy Communion, lay led services and a modern family communion. On the second Sunday of each month, there is a special children’s group who meet for half an hour and held in the side-chapel.
Children from the primary school also attend the church once a week in term time, and hold special services for Harvest and memorable Nativity productions at Christmas.
St Andrew’s also has a choir and a prayer group which meet regularly, and a lively Church Missionary Society link with the Philippines.
You will find a warm welcome as a visitor, holiday maker or newcomer to the village.
The Church Building
The parish church of St Andrew was described by W. G. Hoskins as ‘one of the oldest and most interesting churches in Devon’. It was largely a cruciform building with a central tower and was completed in around 1250.
In 1942 it was said to be ‘well cared for’ in the church log: the following year it was almost destroyed in a raid by a group of German fighter bombers. The church was rebuilt by 1957 but subsequent structural problems led to the tower being reduced to two thirds of its original height. However the two-story porch survived, along with its richly moulded thirteenth-century doorways.
The church has its own car park. Please follow the signs to Church Car Park from the centre of the village.