One beauty of St. George’s is its natural light and plain windows, especially on a summers morning, with the sun streaming in through the east end windows. It does also have some interesting stained glass windows.
There are several memorials to the Rev. Nutcombe Oxenham, who was Vicar of Modbury from 1834 to 1859, also a Prebendary of Exeter Cathedral for 25 years. These include the sedilia and the Victorian Gothic east window. The subjects depicted in the main window lights are:
- St. Augustine;
- Moses separating the Israelite and the Egyptian;
- The Last Supper;
- Our Lord preaching;
- St. George, the patron saint.
The window which preceded this one is illustrated in the painting of the church by Miss Charlotte Stackhouse, c.1830, which hangs at the west end of the nave
Also of interest is that in 1896 three new granite window frames were commissioned. These were made by a local mason, William Ash, who was based in New Road, Modbury. As can be seen from the receipt, these cost a total of £57.4s.0d, which would be about £12,000 in today’s terms. In addition Mr. A Mitchelmore, a local painter and decorator, was paid £20.7s.0d. to make and fit the glass and lead.[metaslider id=15047]